Thursday 24 December 2009

Here is a letter I wrote to all those that are close to me to say a huge thank you after I had finished my chemo and radiotherapy;

I received an email from a friend a few weeks ago who was also diagnosed with cancer and the last line of the email really hit home. It was not something that I had thought about before. The author of the email was thanking family and friends for all their love and support since being diagnosed and stated that “this cancer thing really is a team effort”. It actually made me feel quite emotional because as much as I have tried to deal with this nightmare on my own, in the hope of not wanting to upset others and also because I hate being a burden, I have absolutely no doubt that I would not have got through the last 9 months without my close family and friends - and you know who you are.

It has only been over the past month or so that I have stopped being self involved and have begun to really see the effect that my diagnosis has had on people close to me. I am angry and upset that you have all had to go through this horrific experience with me. I have just had to get on with it but you have all had to try and look after me whilst also being upset and angry too.

From the day that you all found out that I had breast cancer you rallied round me and I knew that you would all be my rocks during this tough time and you haven’t disappointed me.

I have tried my hardest to be strong, to just get on with this shitty process and to remain the same Jess that I have always been, but there have definitely been low points which many of you have witnessed. I can honestly say that thanks to all of you (and a little bit of help from my counsellor) I have managed to come through this as the same sarcastic JR, minus a bit of hair!

All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the love you have shown me whilst I have been going through the most difficult challenge of my life.

I have one parting comment to make. What I have been through over the past 9 months is something that I pray none of you have to go through. In order to prevent any of you from getting breast cancer please please please check you’re boobs for lumps and bumps at least every other week and also check under your arm as it really could save your life. Boys this doesn’t apply to you, but you know where to check!

All my love

JR xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment