Sunday 27 December 2009

Hair!

So its officially been over one year since I have been wearing my wig. In November 2008 I had my hair shaved off. I had just finished my 2nd round of chemo and after blow drying my hair and seeing a whirlwind of brown hair all over my dressing table, I knew it was time to shave it off. I think that I will definitely remember this as one of the most traumatic and depressing events that took place during my cancer experience. I think I went into depression for about 2 days and struggled to get out of bed (which by the way is not like me), but in hindsight I'm sure it was worse for my Mum who had to watch her daughter being forced to deal with a situation that no 27 year old should have to go through.

So while going through treatment and knowing that I was stuck in this nightmare cycle or chemo, my hair was not a major issue. I was more concerned with just generally feeling ill. After finishing chemo in April 2009 and finally finishing radiotherapy in June 2009 I was finally ready to start living my life again. This is when my hair, or lack of it really started to bother me.

Hair is a funny thing. I have had long hair my whole life and I always used to moan that it was too fine, too flat etc etc. Now I would do anything to have my old hair back. Females just dont appreciate how lucky they are to have hair! It makes you feel more feminine, sometimes more sexy and it gives you an excuse to pamper yourself by going to the hairdresser. I have now officially not been to the hairdresser for approximately 17 months. My hairdresser most wonder where I have disappeared to!

So you may be wondereing why after finishing chemo in April 2009 has my hair still not grown back enough so I can get rid of this wig. Well in answer to that, my real hair currently resembles a 90 year olds. You know when you stand behind your grandma and can see her scalp through her nicely set thinning hair. Well thats me, but I'm pleased to say I'm not grey! Its amazing how obsessed you become with hair growth and I'm embarrassed to tell anyone just how many times a week I put a mirror at the back of my head to look for the smallest sign of hair growth.

Everyone says "Be patient", "At least the wig doesn't look that bad" but between me and you that just annoys me even more because, 1. I've been patient for 9 months and number 2. I hate the wig!"

So there it is. This hair business is a nightmare and I now feel sorry for all those men who lose their hair or whose hair is beginning to thin, because I feel your pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment